Monday, September 5, 2011

Indy Women's Only Half


My summer of Hell finally ended with the Indy Women’s Half-Marathon.  I wasn’t sure it would ever get here.  Between the famous One America Mini Half-Marathon in May and the not so famous Women’s this past Saturday I have endured a hip flexor injury, metatarsalgia, asthma attacks due to allergies, humidity and running and finally my sprained ankle.  It was a long hot summer.  But now it’s over and I am actually a bit sad.  Even though I think I only had one or two good runs this summer, there was something empowering about being out running on a Sunday morning in 80-90 degree heat and 80% humidity and knowing most people wouldn’t even leave their house on a morning like that.
But what I really wanted to write about is my experience this past Friday and Saturday.  As timing would have it my college courses started last Monday.  It was a busy week to say the least.  I took Friday off from work to get my homework done that was due on Friday and Saturday.  I didn’t make one of the Saturday deadlines, but it’s early in the semester, one late assignment shouldn’t kill me.  I also took the day off so I wouldn’t be rushed…I was still rushed.  I was only 7 minutes late picking up my running partner Elizabeth, that’s REALLY good for me!  Three of us ladies, yep, I said ladies, decided to get a hotel room downtown Indy.  Best idea of the year. To give credit where credit is due, it was Karen’s idea.  She’s my running mentor and running partner when I feel good enough to keep up with her.
By 5 o’clock we were all checked in at the Hilton, one block from the circle where the race would be starting the next morning.  We walked to the other Hilton on the other side of the circle to get our packets, Karen had a number issue and ended up with an Elite number, she deserved it, she’s pretty elite in my mind.  Next up, manicures and hand massages at no charge.  Kind of wish it was foot massages…but I wasn’t about to complain.  During my relaxing day off of homework, I forgot to pack my pajamas, so we headed to TJ Maxx and then to dinner.  At dinner there were six of us women total.  Five of us that have been training together and another very special lady who is Karen’s running mentor. 
We had some wonderful food, some great laughs and then Karen surprised us with necklaces for all of us that have a little 13.1 medallion on it.  I told you she is elite.  Then we all headed to our respective beds…the alarm was set for 4:30am.  We got up at 4:45am.  It was still dark out as we entered the circle for the opening ceremonies.  A little bit of nervous energy in the air and lots of humidity.  The Mayor spoke and then a lovely military woman sang an amazing version of the National Anthem; it brought tears to my eyes. 
Then it was time, one last mad dash for the port –o- potty and then the gun went off.  We all headed out into the dark streets of the city.  I don’t remember the sun coming up, but I know it did.  This was Elizabeth’s first half and we were able to stay together for the first 4 miles, then she went on ahead and I tried to figure out how to breathe.  It took another mile or so, but I finally got it figured out.  I felt great!  I finally caught up to her around mile 8, then it happened,  the temperature and humidity sharply rose and my ability to breath declined instantly and I had to hit the port-o-potty.  I told Elizabeth to go on and I would try to catch her if I could.  I wanted her to do well. 
Mile ten I realized I wasn’t sweating anymore.  Mile 11 I had chills.  I walked a lot of mile 12 and gulped as much Gatorade and water as I could at the water stops.  Around 12.5 I decided that I started this race running and I was going to finish it running.  I finished in just over 2 hours and 40 minutes.  I really wanted to break 2 hours and 30 minutes and was on track until mile 10. I decided beating dehydration was more important than beating my previous time. I hated it, but they black flagged the race about 20 minutes after I finished.  I made the right call.  At the end of the race the most important thing was making sure Elizabeth was ok and that she wasn’t mad at me for getting her into running.  When I found her at the finish, I think she ended up finishing about 3 minutes ahead of me; I gave her a big hug and told her how proud of her I was.  Then I asked her if she was going to run the next half and she said yes!  PHEW!   I would have wiped the sweat from my brow but I wasn’t sweating yet.
So all in all my time wasn’t what I was hoping for,  Indy broke a ninety-eight year old heat record, I finished the half only 3-4 minutes slower than my previous half but my best friend was still talking to me.  I couldn’t be happier with my race considering the conditions.  I have just over seven weeks until the next one so it’s time to put this one in the scrapbook and get back to training.
But before I do…here is my big shout out to Karen Wahlstrom, Elizabeth Landis, Chrystal Wagner, Pam Ullrich and Sherrie Owens!  You all did amazing this weekend, I value each one of you and I can’t wait to do this all over again next year!
And last but not least…thank you to my other half Derek Denney for volunteering and being at mile 13 and for telling me I could do it.  Brian Wolff for taking pictures and having popsicles and water for us.  Mike Spellman for getting up on a horridly hot and humid morning just to come down and cheer us ladies on, and for getting a few pictures of us as we were finishing.  You guys are awesome!


1 comment: